School Council/Board Information
The school council/board is an advisory board to the pastor and the principal; and to the Bishop and Superintendent. The function of the council/board shall be shared responsibility for the fulfillment of the mission of the school and to provide leadership assistance and support for the school within the context of the mission. The school council/board is a leadership group within the ministry of Catholic education and as such the responsibilities include the following:
- Mission Statement: The adoption of the school’s mission statement and periodic review of its operational validity.
- Policy: The formation and adoption of policy for the school, as needed, within the framework of diocesan policy.
- Planning: The development and regular updating of a three year plan for the school; annual goal-setting for the school and for the board. The long range plans should follow the guidelines of the Catholic Schools Office.
- Budget: The adoption of the school’s operating budget and the review of periodic reports from the school principal on the implementation of the budget.
- Marketing/Advancement: The formulation and implementation of an advancement/marketing program for the school, following diocesan guidelines, and in cooperation with the Catholic Schools Office.
- Assessment: The systematic assessment of the school’s mission statement, goals and policies, the board itself as well as the assessment of the school principal using the process outlined by the Catholic Schools Office
- Selection of the Principal: When a vacancy occurs, some board members and other people determined by the Pastor will be asked to participate in the search process. This process will follow the guidelines of the Catholic Schools Office under the Superintendent’s guidance.